Sea Kayaking, known locally as Geo-canoe, is a popular activity in the seaside town of Takeno. Paddle out into the Sea of Japan, exploring the coastline. A certified instructor will be there to guide you. All instructors take a high-level lifesaving course and go through special training every season.
Course Flow (Approx 2 hours)
1) Arrive at beach after being picked up from JR Takeno Station
2) Sign insurance form
3) Change clothes and purchase rentals if needed
4) Go to the water and choose a boat
5) Warm-up exercises and paddling practices
6) Practice in the water
7) Go out to the wave breakers and circle them
8) Head over to Monster Cave (made by an ogre according to legend)
9) If there is time left, paddle to another location
10) Head back to the beach
-In the case of inclement weather, the activity may be cancelled
-Accident insurance, life jacket, sports drink, picture taking will be provided
-Reservations accepted up to 3 days in advance by noon
Choose one of many kayaks before you head off on your adventure.
The legend behind Monster Cave goes as follows. There once was an ogre who came to the coast and saw a part of it that he wanted to take back to his birthplace. So, he took his staff and smashed out a piece of the coastline. The Sea God was not happy when he saw what the ogre had done. Thus he dragged the ogre out into the sea as punishment. Nowadays, you can still see the fallen rocks near the cave where the ogre tried to steal a piece of the coast for himself.
Enjoy the stunning sunset on the Sea of Japan from your kayak.
Feel the refreshing sea breeze, see the rugged cliffs and the sparkling water, listen to the sound of the sea, and smell the seashore while exploring the coastline and basking in its natural beauty.